Well, "fun" is a subjective term I admit. I can guarantee that you will feel a great sense of accomplishment and civic pride at least!
We will be working on SLP214 which is a path with steps that runs from W. Blithedale on the bottom to Eldridge on the top. See map & picture below. We will meet at the bottom at 9am.
We are going to continue our efforts to rejuvenate some of our older SLPs which were built using 6x6 wooden steps on grade with rock between each riser. Yep, this means clearing room for new "road base" (aka mixed size rock), adding the road base and tamping. Lots of work, but super awesome when finished. And of course the more people who show up the easier the effort will be!We will have several jobs, which will allow folks of all ages and abilities to help.
- We will be pruning bushes and raking leaves and other overgrowth from the trail and placing the material into bags for collection by the City
- We will be preparing the step sections for the new road base. This will involve digging a 2 inch deep space between each step, as applicable, which we will fill with new road base.
- We will be using a variation of a "bucket brigade" to move the road base down the trail to each stair. This simply means we position folks every so often on the stairs and pass "full" (well 1/4 full) buckets down to the next person below and bring up empty buckets to the next person above.
- We will be tamping down the road base once it is in place at each step.
So bring your friends and bring the following:
- Shovels (narrow if you have such)
- Leaf Rakes
- A refillable water container with water, coffee, Bailey's or whatever suits your fancy
- A good sense of humor
PLEASE RSVP SO I CAN GET A SENSE OF THE NUMBER OF FOLKS WE WILL HAVE HELPING OUT: firstname.lastname@example.org
For those of you who heroically helped out last month on SLP53, please be calmed with the knowledge that the steps section of SLP214 is about HALF of what we were honored to work on on SLP53.